car·pet·bag·ger : Pronunciation: -"ba-g&r . Function: noun. Etymology: from their carrying all their belongings in carpetbags - car·pet·bag·gery

: OUTSIDER; especially : a nonresident or new resident who meddles in politics (merriam webster online)

Thursday, October 4, 2007

"Thoreau tells us he is fully capable of living a more than pre-detemined life.

This is my argument again and once more but some people don't seem to get it. Well let us learn something from the author of that famous essay "Civil disobedience" that inspired Gandhi and MLK and anarcho kids in NYC to this day.

I find myself reading On the Road again, this is the third time and I almost never read books more than once. But I have to, it doesn't matter that I know the story, its in the telling. Its all in the telling and Thoreau (yes I'm reading two books at once now that I have more time) tells us that by imagining the course, describing it vividly, we achieve much more than that nagging destination which we are always expected to arrive at-to become-the owner of some tittle or object, not much has changed since the days of the old English Monarchy has it?

I'm rambling- what I meant to say is I love reading about the mad journey and resting temporarily from mine. I have in tow the excited traveler and the quiet recluse-both writers looking to discover something.

I eat gnocchi my favorite and I scavenge vegetables when that market is over-still fresh, I exchange glances with modern gypsies and old Italians, we collect the waste. I watch Preminger movies in black and white at the cinema next door every night. I drink tea with lemon and honey and ginger and study maps.

No comments: